The Slovenian Parish of Saint-Vladimir – Mission Slovene, in Montreal, is served by the members of the Congregation of the Mission of St. Vincent de Paul – C.M. (the Vincentian Fathers or Lazarists) of the province of Slovenia. They also serve in two Slovenian Parishes in Toronto.
On May 28, 1957, Rev. Joze Casl, C.M. was appointed associate pastor at the Parish of Saint-Louis-de-France with the special mission of ministering to the spiritual needs of the Slovenians in Montreal and surrounding areas.
From the end of May, 1957 until August, 1963, the Slovenian Community (Association Slovene Catholique, Montreal) held Mass at Saint-Louis-de-France Parish and, occasionally, in the chapel of College Mont Saint-Louis.
On August 22, 1963, the Association Slovene Catholique, Montreal, purchased the Slovak church at the corner of St. Denis and Marie-Anne. This church became the first Slovenian Parish in the Archdiocese of Montreal. It began operating as a Parish on January 1, 1964.
On February 12, 1982, a commercial building at 3470 Boul. St. Joseph E. in Montreal-Rosemont area was purchased and soon after the church on St. Denis and Marie-Anne was sold.
The new premises were renovated and the new church was ready for the blessing by September of 1983. The celebration of the blessing of the new church was presided by Most Rev. Franc Kramberger, Bishop of Maribor, Slovenia, on Sunday, September 11, 1983.
Just in time for the Silver Jubilee year of the Parish, the church got stained glass windows, designed by artist Janez Kovacic and hand-crafted by Ciril Stojko, both of Slovenia.
Currently, around 360 families are registered as members of the Parish.
1. Joze Casl: from the beginning as spiritual guide and then as pastor until 1965;
2. Stanko Boljka: from 1965 until 1969;
3. Andrej Prebil: from 1969 until 1972;
4. Ivan Jan: from 1972 until 1976;
5. Janez Jeretina: from 1976 until 1983;
6. Franc Letonja: from 1983
E-mail the Webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org